Common Causes for House Fires
Common Causes of House Fires
There are several causes for house fires. Listed below you will see some of those causes.
Pots and pans can overheat and cause a fire very easily if the person cooking gets distracted and leaves cooking unattended. Always stay in the room, or ask someone to watch your food, when cooking on hotplates.
Keep portable heaters at least one meter away from anything that could easily catch fire such as furniture, curtains, laundry, clothes and even yourself. If you have a furnace, get it inspected once a year to make sure it is working to safety standards.
Smoking in bedrooms
A cigarette that is not put out properly can cause a flame, as the butt may stay lit for a few hours. If it meets any flammable materials such as furniture, it can burst into flames.
An electrical appliance, such as a toaster can start a fire if it is faulty or has a frayed cord. A power point that is overloaded with double adapter plugs can cause a fire from overuse of electricity.
Candles look and smell pretty but if left unattended they can cause a room to easily burst into flames. Keep candles away from any obviously flammable items such as books and tissue boxes. Always blow a candle out before leaving a room.
Homes with inadequate wiring can cause fires from electrical hazards. Some signs to see if you have bad wiring are:
1) Lights dim if you use another appliance.
2) For an appliance to work, you must disconnect.
3) Fuses blow or trip the circuit frequently.
Have a licensed electrician come and inspect your house or contact your landlord if you have any of the above occurrences.
Lamp shades and light fittings can build up heat if they are very close to light globes.
Here at SERVPRO of Texarkana, no matter the type of fire loss or residue left, our highly trained professionals understand the behavior of smoke and the cleanup processes to best utilize during fire restoration services. We are ready for whatever happens 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call 903-832-4400.